I know how overwhelming life can be at times and the anxiety you have over your life choices. The first step to finding balance is to learn how to cut yourself a break. You have an entire life ahead of you and there will be bumps and bruises and setbacks along the way. Your goals will shift and the journey is often unpredictable. If you stay focused on a few goals, stay positive in the wake of negativity, you’ll be just fine and maybe even Great.
“Focus on what is right in your life to find the energy to fix what appears to be broken.”
I found by creating a list of all the wonderful things I’ve accomplished and can still accomplish, I find my way back to center.
It’s the fine balance between living in the Here and Now, verse looking in your rear view mirror or only looking ahead. Most people will tell you only look forward and never backwards but this is not realistic. I think it’s equally important to cherish what you have accomplished and also learn how to forgive yourself for a past failure. None of us are perfect and learning how to forgive yourself may be one of the most important things you learn to do.
Here are some of the behaviors that are helping me that hopefully can help you:
- Find new friends and people in my life that can inspire you and bring out the best in you. Decide today to rid yourself of all people that are toxic in your life.
- Take care of yourself physically and mentally. This means being a bit more selfish with your time. You must prioritize your wellness for you only have one life to live.
- Make a better effort to love those around you and make sure they know how you love them and appreciate them. A simple thank you, I love you message goes along way.
- Spend more quality time with my mother and father for their hourglass is not full of sand. There are no life contracts and those people you love most can be taken from you in a blink of an eye.
- Narrow down your professional and personal objectives. Focus on the vital few verse the many. It’s the vital few that will yield the most results.
- Chill the Fuck out and have some Fun!!!!!
Always remember you are not a quitter and you didn’t quit anything. You took your pursuit as far as the journey was meant to be. In fact, you had the courage to pursue everything vs being a coward and not facing challenging goals. That is what you must tell yourself every day.
That drive to attempt what is often a huge undertaking will prevail for you. You never stop the pursuit of a new journey just because the others didn’t work out as you hoped.
We are fighters with big dreams which often comes with a price of disappointment. Many more journeys are to come with many more setbacks ahead. I promise you that sprinkled in there will be the life highlights, special moments, memories and some amazing accomplishments.
Now dust yourself off and be the courageous talented young women I know you are.
Great job Steve. 12 years ago we worked on a similar letter. I am grateful you are focusing on what is truly the most important in our lives – those we live.
Amazing words. Thank you
Well played here old friend- love it and thanks for sharing!
Wow!!! I’m in tears what a beautiful letter filled with incredible advice! You are one in a million my friend!